lunes, 15 de marzo de 2010

...Rápida.

Today is our halfway point.

Yesterday there was a half marathon in Murcia. Rachael ran it! and I did the 10.3K, which was half of it. (In miles those are 13.1 and 6.4, respectively.) It was awesome (and I promise, I thought that for most of the race too, not just afterwards). Here is a picture of some random runners that Tracy took when she and our friend Ashley came to watch. It does a good job of showing what the race was like.


So the race started over on the other side of the river. We got up and walked to the start, picked up our race stuff, and then searched for somewhere to leave our water bottles and jackets. Sadly, there wasn't anywhere official, so we stared looking for someplace to hide them. We went upstairs because it totally looked like other people were... but when we got up there we were the only ones, and a security guy saw us and started yelling. That was a good time to pretend (or... more like excentuate the fact) that we are stupid foreigners. Anyway, we started talking to this other girl who looked like she was trying to find a place for her stuff. She spoke English; I don't think she spoke Spanish though. She was from Kenya. She was really nice. We suspected that she was going to win the women's race, and she did! So I just think it was funny that we ran into her beforehand and talked to her and that even though she didn't speak Spanish she dominated their race.

Four of our American friends from school also ran: three did the 10.3K and one the half marathon. And four (including Tracy!) came to watch. (In case you were wondering if we ever found somewhere to put our stuff... they held it for us.) Let's see. The start of the race was exciting, and it was funny to think about where we were... Usually it's like, "I'm in Spain. Wow." This was, "I'm in Spain... plus I'm doing a race. Weird, but awesome." It was a very flat race. No complaints there. There were some people cheering when we ran along the river. A good portion of the race was two way, so I enjoyed watching the leaders run by. Rachael and I saw each other a few times! There were four or five big packs of guys in green and black. They were sort of obnoxious because they were yelling for most of the race (really I'm just jealous that they can run further and faster than me while yelling...), but Rachael asked them where they were from, and they said they were from Murcia and that they were in the airborne division of the army. So they were one example of the many interesting people in this race. There was also a guy with maracas...

We were all happy with our times. Rachael's was 1:45, and mine was 55 min. (Remember :-) she ran twice as far.) No one died. It was good. We got free stuff at the end, which is totally one of the most exciting things about a race. And they gave us each a huge water bottle - 1.5 L.

Ok here's a bit about school. History class is awesome. It is everyone's (I think) favorite. Probably because we have an awesome teacher - Jóse. I don't really know how to describe him. Well, he's Spanish... haha. He is just a good teacher because he knows what he's talking about and isn't boring and is funny, especially when he does impressions of French people or of little girls showing off or pretends to speak elvish.

Last Thursday night we went over to Claudia's apartment for tapas. She is a friend from church. We learned a new card game called Nerviosa, which just means Nervous. It is worth teaching when we get back. After we ate she played the guitar for a bit and we sang. It reminded me of a Roberts party... haha. The next night, (this is going to seem really random) we went with her and some other friends to get Swedish meatballs at the place where she used to work. They had a good sale! What can I say. After that we went to youth group, and it was a very good night for that. Tracy played the drums for a bit, and it looked like she really enjoyed that.

In two weeks we have Easter break for two weeks! Tracy and I are going to Paris for the first few days. Her family is going to be visiting Paris then too. Hopefully I will get to see my friend Hannah who is going to be studying in Paris... We are also going to Madrid and Toledo during the break! Rachael is going to Barcelona with our friend Anna. And for the second half of break we will be here in Murcia for all the Easter festivities... probably, unless we find a cheap ticket to London... The three of us (with two of our friends) are going to Dublin April 15th!!! Yep. That's the most exciting thing in the world :-)

This is a really random blog, so I guess it makes sense to end with this... We made bagels on Saturday. They don't have them here, so we really wanted to try it. They take just as long to chew as bagels normally do, so I think they were a success!
The end. - Betty

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario