domingo, 11 de abril de 2010

...Loca.

I'm surprised it's the first time I've thought of using that title. It's a good thing though. This week needs that description.

Here is a picture of people grabbing stuff from the carrozas that Tracy mentioned:


The next day's parade had lots of floats with flowers:

The people on the floats handed them out to people who went up to get them, and they threw some in the crowd too. We didn't get any, but we enjoyed watching.


After the parade we stood in a line where they were handing out free "pasteles de carne" - meat pies. They are a Murcian specialty. We each got too! And usually waiting in line is terribly boring, but we met some cool people, including a guy who spoke English and the parents of one of our friend's from church (by the way - and this really shouldn't be in parenthesis cuz it is very important, but here it is - we watched both the first two parades with out friends from church, and we spent some time with them afterwards as well. It was awesome cuz I started to feel like we are really friends - like there is a real bond, not just nice Spanish people being really welcoming to us but not having much to talk about. It was probably just me being slow... but I really think something is different now!). Anyway, at the end of the line:


After this, we set out to find "paparajotes." They are another Spanish food, a specialty of the week of Spring festivals. One of our teachers had told us we should try them. Basically, they are lemon leaves covered in fried dough, and they are delicious:
Oh, and I tried blood sausage that we got from the first parade. Mostly out of boredom. It tasted good, but ew. There is plenty of other food that tastes good and doesn't have blood in it :-)
So don't think we have been going to parades all week. It's just that that's more exciting to write about that doing homework, reading, running, cooking, and the other activities of the week, which have been excellent and very relaxing.
Ok the last parade was last night. It was in preparation for "Entierro de la sardina," which is kind of like a falla. It's a sardine one down by the river. Only, we didn't actually stay to watch it burn because the streets were a frightening place to be... We watched the parade from a friend's balcony. It was pretty much perfect! A lot of times we joke about how a certain situation could be perfect. Rachael and I were saying... "I'll bet Haley lives in one of these apartments with a balcony, and we can just go up and watch the parade from there." Vuala!! She did, and that's exactly what happened.

It was different seeing the parade from seven floors up. I had the feeling that we were scientists observing a community of ants. The people looked funny cuz they were so small, and they were grabbing for the stuff that was being thrown from the floats. We went down at the end and caught some stuff. Rachael got a bright orange shirt. I got a deck of cards, which are cool... except they don't have the right suites, just weird pictures. Tracy got a bunch of stuff, including a soccer ball that will be fun to bring to the beach! Murcia is quiet again.

This afternoon we went out on the roof and read for awhile. It is really really nice up there! Haha, not so much the actual roof, but being up there... and the sky:


We are going back to class tomorrow. Six more weeks. Yesterday we were all looking at who was going to be in our classes at Roberts next semester. Haha that was fun.

I am really not a fan of day light savings. Like right now, it is 7:45 and completely light out. I like it when it gets dark early because I am better at going to bed sooner. This is silly, but I have trouble going to sleep unless I feel really accomplished. I should go to bed when I'm tired!

So as not to end this with a random complaint... avacados are delicious. Did you know? If you think they are just good for guacalmole, think again. Get one (I know they are expensive. This is a shame. We should all move to California where we can grow avacado trees in our backyards!), cut it in half, and eat it with a spoon. Repeat as often as desired.

Betty

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario